Updated Aug. 3, 2020
As New York City continues reopening, we’re doing everything we can to help you commute safely.
The subway will continue to close from 1 a.m.-5 a.m. each day.
Remember to wear a mask or face covering. They’re required when you ride with us.
What to expect during Phase 4
- Regular weekday and weekend subway service on most lines.
- Regular weekday school-closed bus service on most routes.
- Restored service on express buses.
- Subways are running on a regular weekday schedule.
- The 42 St Shuttle is not running. Use 7 service instead.
For service status and planned work, check real-time service alerts.
- Buses are running on a weekday, school-closed schedule, with some changes in Manhattan.
- We’re running enhanced bus service from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., while there is no subway service.
Staten Island Railway
- SIR service is running more frequently, with more trains at peak hours.
SIR trains operate:
- Every 20 minutes during the rush hour periods
- Every 30 minutes during the midday/off-peak period
- Hourly from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
SIR trains operate:
- Every half hour from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Hourly from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Overnight subway service
There is no subway service from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. while we disinfect trains and stations. The Staten Island Railway will continue running during this time.
We will be running enhanced bus service between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. to help get essential workers where they need to go. If bus service is not an option, essential workers can use our Essential Connector program.
Changes to how you ride
- Masks are required. If you need one, ask at the station booth. You can also look for new vending machines with personal protective equipment in some stations.
- We’re no longer making cash transactions at station booths. Use a MetroCard Vending Machine instead.
- Board through the rear door if you can. (Express bus riders and riders who board using a ramp can use the front door.)
- Starting in August, you’ll see new protective barriers around local bus operators. When these are installed, you’ll board using the front door and will pay the fare as usual. We’ll keep you posted on precise timing.